Articles on this Page
- 04/30/14--02:46: _Your hobby is stupi...
- 05/10/14--18:35: _Blaspheming the breed
- 05/30/14--04:20: _Real Italian mastiff
- 06/26/14--05:18: _Even primitive dogs...
- 01/14/15--20:53: _The double-nosed dog
- 01/20/15--15:30: _What is a bulldog?
- 01/27/15--16:17: _Bulldogs: Enjoy th...
- 01/29/15--20:15: _Saving a pug from a...
- 01/30/15--18:57: _What the worst of m...
- 02/02/15--17:28: _An interesting back...
- 02/11/15--13:41: _The stunning beauty...
- 03/02/15--19:08: _The bulldog was the...
- 03/17/15--14:46: _Rottweilers are not...
- 03/31/15--21:00: _Hybrid origin of th...
- 07/14/15--19:36: _Istrian hounds and ...
- 09/01/15--14:25: _Happy Boykin Spanie...
- 10/28/15--20:03: _Something unspoiled
- 11/09/15--17:22: _The Shepherd’s Dogge
- 02/14/16--10:39: _The obligatory and ...
- 01/07/17--12:14: _The collie from the...
- 04/30/14--02:46: Your hobby is stupid and it is counterproductive
- 05/10/14--18:35: Blaspheming the breed
- 05/30/14--04:20: Real Italian mastiff
- 01/14/15--20:53: The double-nosed dog
- 01/20/15--15:30: What is a bulldog?
- 01/27/15--16:17: Bulldogs: Enjoy the freak show!
- 01/29/15--20:15: Saving a pug from a lifetime of misery
- 01/30/15--18:57: What the worst of men do to the best of dogs
- 02/02/15--17:28: An interesting backcross using golden retrievers and wetterhouns
- 02/11/15--13:41: The stunning beauty of a village dog
- 03/17/15--14:46: Rottweilers are not bulldogs
- 03/31/15--21:00: Hybrid origin of the pit bull revealed in new studies
- 07/14/15--19:36: Istrian hounds and Dalmatians might be related– but may not be
- 09/01/15--14:25: Happy Boykin Spaniel Day!
- 10/28/15--20:03: Something unspoiled
- 11/09/15--17:22: The Shepherd’s Dogge
- 02/14/16--10:39: The obligatory and predictable anti-AKC post during Westminster
- 01/07/17--12:14: The collie from the 60s
I am often amazed at what people think they are doing with dogs. No one has demonstrated to me what is essentially an article of faith or at least a current mantra of the AKC-apologist set: That breeding to a breed standard means that the dog is healthy. And from what I’ve seen in the […]
retrievermanpug show dogchalon pug 1802
I had an interesting conversation a few days ago: Why is that people who keep fish and exotic pets are so open to new scientific knowledge about their animals? Why is that the innovative ways of keeping these animals quickly gain acceptance among their owners, while in the world of dogs, the bulk of the […]
This one was a hunting mastiff from the north of Italy. My guess is the scars come from the dog’s use as a boar catcher. I doubt that the dog is 10 or 12 years old, but it is certainly an older dog. This is probably very similar to the kind of mastiff-type that the […]
This a video about an appeal to for a basenji that is suffering from both Fanconi syndrome and either an ulcer or a tumor. The dog’s owner is need of funds for a endoscopic exam to determine whether she has either a tumor or an ulcer. Source. Basenjis look like they could be the most […]
This is a pachon Navarro, one of two breeds that are called “Spanish pointers.” This breed has had this trait for centuries, and yes, it’s an actual working breed. We’ve been selecting for weird traits in dogs long before we ever thought of showing them. We love novelty, and this is one the things dogs […]
I think there is no other way to describe the sudden popularity of the bulldog than as one of the greatest tragedies in modern dogs. A bulldog is an unfortunate beast that is a medley of genetic disorders and physical deformities masquerading as both toughness and cuteness. Such animals can only be celebrated by a […]
retrievermanbulldog with baby
Source. I just noticed that this sort of bulldog tends to possess really screwy loins. The loins actually point up toward the hips, which is so disgustingly freaky. At a distance the dogs appear short-coupled, but when you really look at the muscles, the loins are pretty long. They just reach for the sky!
Pugs have a lot of problems associated with their bizarre phenotype. This is a breed that is well known for its scrunched-up muzzle and head, which cause problems with oxygenation and with cooling. We’ve been through this enough times on this blog that I’m going to leave them alone on this post. However, the question […]
retrievermanRetromops on the left. Conventional pug on the right. (Source)pug 1802
There might be a few things wrong this dog. This dog is gonna take on the gladiators and all the Germanic tribes at once!
A few years ago, I did a blog post about a wetterhoun/golden retriever cross. A wetterhoun, as you may recall, is a water dog from the Friesland province of the Netherlands. The dog was used to hunt otters and polecats, as well as being used as waterfowl retrievers. In function, they are very similar to […]
retrievermanwetterhoun-golden-retrieverwetterhoun golden retriever3 quarter golden wetterhound
This is Kali, and before you go searching about what kind of dog she is, I’ll just tell you this: She is a Nepali kukur– a Nepalese dog. “Kukur” means dog in Nepali, and Kali is what we would call a village dog or what I have sometimes called a “nonbreed dog.” What I […]
I have been writing about the issues around purebred dogs for quite some time now, and one of the breeds that constantly comes us is the English bulldog. I know that this is not the “official name” of this breed, but in common parlance, it is the word used to describe this breed that was […]
I don’t know where this idea came from, but there is profound misunderstanding about what rottweilers are. Rottweilers are sometimes referred to as Metzgerhund, which means “butcher’s dog,” and someone decided that this meant the same thing as the English “butcher’s dog.” In Medieval and early modern England, butcher’s dogs, which became the bulldogs, baited […]
retrievermanundocked rottweilerdog breed
A recent study of pit bull skulls using 3-D imaging technology has revealed that they have skull measurements that are more similar to the extinct canids in the genus Borophagus. Further analysis involving SNP technology revealed that the average of 24.6 percent ancestry that is from a canid that is neither wolf nor domestic dog. […]
I’ve written a few blog posts in which I have argued that Dalmatians are not actually from Croatia. I’ve pointed out that a lot of the supposed depictions of Dalmatians were rather dubious, and genetically, Dalmatians fit with pointing gun dogs. Well, it turns out that there might be actually be something the Croatian origins […]
retrievermanIstrian smooth-coated hound.dubrovnik hound
September 1 is Boykin Spaniel Day in South Carolina. It’s also the first day of dove season in South Carolina.
retrievermanhappy boykin meme
I’ve been thinking about the future a lot. This blog has helped me reach a sense of closure following the deaths of two beloved dogs. I knew a working type golden retriever intimately well. She could retrieve anything, for she lived for the retrieve. She was one of those dogs who sought kinship with our […]
retrievermangerman short-haired pointer
Source Over the years, I’ve made mention of the fact that English shepherds are a very common breed in West Virginia. Indeed, I knew what an English shepherd was long before I’d ever heard the words “border collie.” English shepherds are pretty common in the Eastern and Midwestern US. But only in the rural areas. […]
It’s that time of year. The United States is having its big dog show Monday and Tuesday, and it will be watched. And the laity will whine about why the Labrador isn’t Best in Show, because, um, aren’t they the best dog ever? Then we’ll have a few of the dog blogs writing a screed […]
trump and hickoryretrievermantrump and hickory
I got to see these family photos for the first time today. This is a dog that featured heavily in my dad’s dog stories that he used to tell us when we were kids. This is Cam, the first AKC dog that my family ever owned. She was a rough collie “like Lassie,” as they […]